Thursday, March 03, 2005

I was an 8th grade Rock star...

Ever see the movie School of Rock? Not a whole lot of people know this but it was loosely based on my life, not like High Fidelity which is actually based on my life. When it came out the kids were stopping me in the hall and saying "Hey Mr. Davis they made a movie about you!" It is a little known fact that at the age of 26 I was an 8th grade Rock Star.
See what happen was I was boozeled by a clever young 8th grader named Brian, he knew that I used to sing in a band, because when he walked into a shop class I was subbing for wearing a Ramones T-shirt we started talking about music. I asked him if he knew who the Ramones were and he gave me a look usually reserved for people who mispronounce fajita. I knew we'd get along well. Brian got me to participate in the 8th grade talent show as part of his band which was as yet unnamed and had no singer. I said that I would agree only if the completed the impossible task of getting another teacher in the band, because I didn't want to be the old guy out there by myself. Little did I know that he had gotten another teacher to make the same tentative deal with him just an Hour before, a frustrated lead guitarist\ computer teacher, named Mr. Moore. I fell for the oldest teenage trick in the book "Mom said it was okay." He'd told both of us that the other was in for sure, and so began our band.
I never realized how often I said the F word when practicing with my old band but it became very obvious that it was WAY more often than I did while teaching. Most all of my sentences came out as if I had a terrible stutter " Hey man pick up the Ffffff... Beat! And "Sorry that was me I fu fa fo oh ha ha my mistake." We were as bad as we were loud. The kids were novices and Mr. Moore and I were years out of practice but we sounded like a punk band. Their normal drummer had broken his wrist and was unable to play, so we had a girl named Angela play. Angela's philosophy was play hard and loud but never in time, which was kind of the groups motto as a whole. The band knew 2 songs, London Calling-the Clash and Brainstew-Green Day (pre AOR respectable pop punk elder statesmen) Like any good high school garage punk band would be they were self destructive. Teddy the absent injured drummer cut his cast off 3 days before the show so that he could drum with his bros and they kicked Angela out of the band. Teddy couldn't keep up with the time changes in London Calling so we switched to Brainstew the day before. OH SO PUNK!!! YEAH!
Having abused alcohol and being ADD I have a shit memory for lyrics (ask Kifer) so I did the Michael Stype\ Bob Dylan thing and taped the lyrics to my mic stand. PUNK!!! We were a hit and it brought me street cred for about 2 weeks it was fun but kind of embarrassing. I went on stage and sold the hell out of it, we were rocking so hard and sooo loud that for a line or two I got caught in the moment and forgot where I was. I looked out and saw a screaming audience, the speakers were ringing in my ears, my heart was an alligator tearing through my chest. I was playing to a huge packed house Rocking out and they were LOVING it!! Then I realized where I was and what I was doing and I remembered they were middle schoolers and had a similar reaction to a girl lip synching to Brittany Spears song and I thought to myself as the last chord crashed down over us like a crushing sonic wave "What a Douchebag."