Tuesday, February 08, 2005

Joe Davis throughout History

Inspired by the incredible Dave Gorman and his amazing one man show "Are you Dave Gorman?" I decided to see if there were any other Joe Davis' running about. I knew that there was one living on Tireman St. in Detroit, because everytime I did a show in college I would write him a post card and ask him to come. As far as I know he never did, if he did he never said anything to me which is a little creepy.
So I googled myself one day (I was told this is called Ego surfing) and tried to see what I could come up with and was suprized to find that I am fairly common place. However few of us have ever really made it BIG so here the best of the best...

A Joe Davis Biography by Bradley Torreano (coincidently I know Brad and he never mentioned he wrote a review for a guy named JOE DAVIS you'd have thought he'd have said something.)

Performing with the Pinehurst Kids throughout the 90's, guitarist Joe Davis pic (he's in the middle) broke out on his own in 2001 to unveil his sensitive, acoustic side. Often recalling Elliot Smith with his delicate songs, Davis made an effort to set himself apart from his previous output and wrote and recorded Hope Chest later that year. Davis went on tour with his band again that fall, but they let him open the shows with his acoustic sets.

Joe Davis 1901-1978 pic
Joe Davis, world champion snooker player many times over, in 1927 he entered the first ever professional world snooker championship, held in Nottingham, and won. He then won the first world billiards championship in 1928, making it a double that made him a star at the age of 27. Over the next 20 years, barring a break for the war, he won the world snooker title on each occasion and for good measure bagged 10 world or UK billiards titles on the way. He received the OBE in 1963, had a waxen image in Madame Tussauds and drove a car with the number plate CUE 1. Joe Davis died in 1978 at the age of 77, one of snooker's greatest legends. His autobiography was called 'The Breaks came My Way'.

Joe Davis. Joe had been involved in the music/recording industry since the 1920s. He was a singer a pianist, a composer, a record producer, and ultimately a label owner. He owned and operated the Beacon, Jay-Dee, and Joe Davis labels. Among the artists he recorded were the Five Red Caps, Una Mae Carlisle, Savannah Churchill, Deryck Sampson, and many more. I can't find any photos of him yet but there is this