Monday, February 21, 2005

Why the NBA sucks.

As many of you know and I have mentioned in previous blog entries I am a substitute teacher, just moments ago I was playing a game with the 8th. Grade LAZER math class. Upon his team winning the "Math Quiz Review game" one of the 8th grade boys stood up and shouted "Yeah, In your Face!" to the other groups. WHAT??? While this alone was stunning it only got worse.
While I myself have many times celebrated hollow victories for meaningless accomplishments quite passionately, I've never loarded it over others. I'm learning daily that I am becoming a moralistic anachronism. What happened to winning with grace and good sportsmanship? I don't believe in "It's not weather you win or loose, it's always better to win, but I also don't believe that you should tell someone they sucked. They know they sucked, they lost.
I docked his team a point for bad sportsmanship and he turned in to Ron Artest, a name I only know because the F-ing Detroit news stations went ape shit when he threw a temper tantrum at the Place. I told him that in Tennis you can forfeit a match for unsportsman like conduct. He said that he didn't care about tennis or my stupid game, I agree there I don't care about them either, but I do care about class and having some dignity in defeat as well as victory. No one would have deiafied Lou Gerig if instead of saying "Today I feel like the luckiest man in base ball." said "I'm the Iron man bitches! Number one baseball playing machine!" F- Dennis Rodmin & F- the NBA give me Larry Bird, Isaiah Thomas and Yogi Berra.